ANAESTHESIA: is it worth it to fear?
Anesthesia – a somewhat outdated concept, represents the overall (full) anesthesia – the state of specific deep sleep with the absence of all kinds of sensitivity.
Anesthesia is a necessary condition for humane and high-quality of the majority of surgical operations. General anesthesia (narcosis) the Russian owners of animals involves a lot of conjectures and prejudices. We offer You a modern look professional on some aspects of anesthesia and other anesthesia of cats and dogs.
1. Anesthesia (analgesia, more precisely analgesia) when performing painful surgical manipulations and operations – humane measure, redeems the animal from additional suffering, and if serious interventions – to prevent the death of the animal from pain. In addition, the animal is in a state of anaesthesia is not moving, allowing the surgeon to freely perform all manipulations (if the animal moves – IT is NOT ANESTHESIA).
2. Don’t confuse anesthesia with immobilization (relaxation, sedation of the animal under the action of special drugs). To Immobilise animals are used xylazine (Rometar, Xila), acepromazine (Wetransfer) and Domitor. These drugs HAVE almost NO ANALGESIC EFFECT, they only reduce reaction to pain, i.e., the animal feels pain, but it cannot adequately respond.These drugs allow for the inspection and is not painful/uncomfortable procedures in cases of moving or aggressive animals. In addition, these funds are used as a COMPONENT of General anesthesia (narcosis).
3. ALL drugs used for anesthesia and anesthesia really do not benefit the health of animals. So far not developed completely harmless means to anaesthesia / narcosis. However, most pet owners tend to greatly exagerrate even the potential harm caused by the drugs for anesthesia. In particular, a common stereotype: “My dog did 2 anesthesia this year, more her not to make – the liver can be planted”. In fact, of anesthetic drugs harmful effects on the liver have chloroform (not used for many years due to high toxicity) and halothane (if used regularly over a long period of time; in the Russian Federation halothane is not available for veterinary use). Other medicines have on the liver of dogs and cats any serious influence.
4. “The last time my dog / cat is so hard coming out of anesthesia, I thought she was going to die.” And how actually should behave after anesthesia? You know. Anesthesia is not normal sleep, the more that just to sleep, not. Imagine that You had major surgery. How will You feel the next day? Lethargy,drowsiness,and pain! So the morning after the anesthesia neither the cat or dog usually are not able to please You with the usual good spirit, good appetite and physical activity, and this is NORMAL. In General, the recovery period after General anesthesia depends on the pre-anaesthetic condition of the animal, the severity of the surgery, side diseases, and more. In cats, in particular, a certain disorientation (wobbly gait, lethargy) may persist up to 3 days. If You are very concerned about the condition of the animal after anesthesia, do not rush to their own conclusions – please contact your physician.
5. Complications in anesthesia and anesthetic risk. Under anesthesia the animal changes the state of individual organs and systems: reduced body temperature and slow metabolism, speeds up or slows down heart rhythm, decreased or increased blood pressure (depending on the drugs used), the breath becomes less. All these changes can provoke the manifestation of different pathologies. For example, compensated heart failure, invisible to the animal in the waking state, under General anesthesia may complicate the work of the heart. In addition, anesthetic drugs (like any other) may result in an allergic reaction. Therefore, in our clinic before the operation is recommended for preoperative evaluation, which includes blood tests, ECG diagnosis, in some cases x-rays and ultrasound. It should be noted that this survey does not guarantee the absence of problems, although significantly reduces the frequency of their manifestations. That is why there is the concept of ANESTHETIC RISK.
Anesthetic risk exists in all without exception cases of the use of anesthesia, be it heart surgery in an old dog, or the removal of a milk tooth of a kitten. Of course, anesthetic risk is increased in older animals, it depends on the initial state and earlier diseases. The duration of surgery also plays a major role in the assessment of anesthetic risk: caesarean section or surgery for torsion of the stomach to make for 1-1. 5 hours, and you can stretch it to 4-5 hours. Anesthetic risk will vary significantly. Because 100% impossible to foresee all possible complications of General anesthesia, a Central role in overcoming the anaesthetic risk is training of staff and anesthesia equipment for rapid recognition and elimination of possible complications of anesthesia, knowledge and mastery of all the skills of resuscitation and intensive therapy. At least strange to hope for minimal risk, a caesarean section if your dog spends in the kitchen 1 doctor that attracts You as an assistant.
In our clinic, we very seriously approach to the study and improvement of methods of anesthesia and intensive care. The clock in each shift doctors work with an expert with appropriate training. This attitude to anesthesia allows us to reduce all risks to a minimum.